Lavender - (Lavandula angustifolia)
- No.1 choice for the first aid kit at home.
- Antiseptic, used to treat cuts, wounds, burns and infections.
- Supports the immune system.
- Helps induce sleep, relieves stress, restores calm and balance.
- Excellent for soothing sunburn.
One of the best known of all essential oils, this wonderfully versatile oil is distilled from the flower tops of the lavender bush. It is the No.1 choice for the first aid kit at home as it can be put directly on to the skin. It is particularly soothing in cases of trauma and shock. It helps to induce sleep by being sprinkled on the pillow and brings about calm and balance to a stressed overactive mind. Lavender is renowned for its healing properties and it has a soothing effect on burns. It is good for all skin problems i.e. exzema, acne, inflammation, insect bites, athletes foot, bruises. Uses of this oil include:massage, inhalation, bath shower, burner and humidifier.
Avoid in the first 3 months of pregnancy, and if blood pressure is very low.